Monday, July 11, 2016

Southwestern eggrolls

For me, the best recipes are ones everyone likes, which in a family of five gets tricky.
This egg roll recipe is a hit, all my kids like them- 9yrs, 6 yrs, and 3 yrs old...my husband loves them and I love them, too.
It's labor-intensive, so I doubled it.
Ideally, I make the filling the day before, and then wrap them the next day for dinner.
I don't think I have very picky eaters, but both my girls are adventurous with food in a different way. My older one will try any fruit or vegetable you give her. My younger one will not eat many fruits or vegetables, but will try any spicy thing you give her-- the little one is still testing his palate.

Anyway, this was adapted from something I found on Pinterest:


Baked Southwestern eggrolls:
Ingredients:
16 ounces frozen organic corn thawed
Two cans black beans rinsed and drained
10 ounce package fresh organic whole leaf spinach, chopped finely in food processor
1-2 cups shredded Mexican cheese (whatever your preference)
Two cans diced green chilies drained
One bunch scallions, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Two packages eggroll wrappers, about 48 total

In large bowl combine everything but eggroll wrappers. Mix well to blend. Lay eggroll wrapper out on a work surface so that one of the corners is pointing toward you. Using a 2 to 3 tablespoons scoop, scoop it into the middle fold the two sides over the bottom up and roll it into an egg roll, wet to seal.
Repeat with remaining rappers.
Preheat oven to 425. Using cooking spray, cover a baking sheet. Place the egg rolls on this baking sheet and spray the top with cooking spray. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned, turn them over and bake another 8 minutes.  Serve with salsa.

Dip in homemade Salsa:-- OR-- just use 365 brand Salsa Verde-- it is SO delicious
4 fine ripened tomatoes
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
One small yellow onion
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Juice of one lime
1 jalapeƱo  pepper
Blend in food processor till desired consistency adding tomatoes last

No comments:

Post a Comment