Friday, October 28, 2016

Barley Soup

Oh my goodness-- this is one of my top 3 "Healthy & Cheap" meals!  I make a LOT--it freezes really well.  I've doubled this recipe below and I'd say it makes about 25 servings-- so you can halve it if you don't want any to freeze.



This is also super easy-- you can really dump it all in the pot.  You can change what's added based on what you like-- it's a pretty loose recipe.



2 cups pearl barley
4 carrots, chopped fine
4 stalks celery, chopped fine OR (my preference) 1 bunch chopped leeks + 1 tsp celery seed
4 yukon potatoes, chopped
18 cups water
6 vegan Rapunzel boullion cubes
salt and fresh pepper to taste
(Later:
2 cups frozen peas
2 cups frozen corn)

All in pot, bring to boil-- then simmer 1 hour.

OR- all in crockpot, cook 6 hours

10 mins before serving add 2 cups frozen peas + 2 cups frozen corn.

SERVE!

Better the next day because it thickens.

Taking for lunch?  Fill a mason jar, then heat up in microwave at work!  (Take lid off!)

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment