Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Latkes, latkes, latkes!

I love the taste of homemade latkes, but I only make them once a year because:

1. The oil smell permeates your entire life for like 3 days
2.  It is so time consuming!
3.  MESSY!

This year I was determined to take at least one of those things out of the equation.

I decided to roast my latkes!

I looked up a few recipes, but I love my own recipe so much I decided to just try things as I went tonight and see how it turned out.

Usually, that is a recipe for disaster, but it turned out SO WELL!
The smell is not as permanent or pervasive.  SO much less messy, and since I don't have to stand over the oven turning just 4 at a time, MUCH less time consuming.

Here is the recipe... it makes 52 latkes:

5 lbs yellow potatoes
3 large yellow onions
5 eggs
1 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
salt & pepper

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 and using two pans (I use a glass casserole and a baking stone), pour oil onto the bottom so it fully coats it in a thick layer.  In one pan I did avocado oil, in the other I did olive oil.  I think I will stick to avocado, it's a little lighter-- but both work.  Put the pans in the oven to preheat.

1. Shred all the potatoes in the food processor (you can peel or not, I ted to peel a bit of each but not the entire potato)
2.  Transfer the shredded potatoes into a bowl of cold water
3.  Finely chop the onions in the food processor (should look like applesauce)
4.  Beat 5 eggs with a fork in a  separate bowl
5.  After about 10-30 minutes, drain out the potatoes in a  colander.  Press down firmly and rotate, press again, rotate.  Add the onion-- keep on pressing and rotating, squeezing out the water.  Add several paper towels on top and squeeze one more time.  Toss the paper towel and dump the potato/onion mixture into a very big bowl.
6.  Add the egg and flour, salt & pepper and mixx well using your hands.
7. Scoop the mixture onto the hot oiled pans, I use a rounded scoop shown below.  After you've scooped them all, pat them down with the rounded side of the scoop.
8.  Roast for 8 minutes, then flip the and roast another 8 minutes.  They made need up to 10 minutes per side-- you decide.
9.  Plate them on a platter with paper towels underneath and enjoy with applesauce!




1 comment:

  1. Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any recommendations? Online Dhaba

    ReplyDelete